THE BIG: ART CENTER EAST'S ANNUAL OPEN EXHIBIT
Art Center East (ACE) invites you to enter your artwork into The Big: Art Center East's Annual Open Exhibit. Entries are eligible to win cash prizes, awarded at the judges' discretion. The People's Choice cash award will be selected by those attending in person or via online voting during the duration of the exhibit. Artists throughout the greater Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and beyond) who are 18+ years old are invited to submit their work.
This annual art exhibit serves multiple purposes: it invites Eastern Oregon & other NW artists to celebrate the arts, creates awareness of the value of arts in our communities, and raises funds for Art Center East’s Gallery Program.
The 2022 Annual Open Exhibit will be on display from December 2, 2022 - January 28, 2023.
What to Expect
The Big: Annual Open Exhibit is an art exhibit at Art Center East in La Grande, Oregon. The exhibit will be on display from December 2, 2022 - January 28, 2023, with an opening reception on Friday, December 2, from 6:00 - 8:00 pm and a closing reception on January 27, from 6:00 - 8:00 pm. And thanks to John J. Howard & Associates Realty of La Grande, a virtual tour of the exhibit will be featured on our website for the duration of the exhibition.
Open electronic submission period: September 1 - November 19, 2022.
Artworks will not be accepted without completed submission.
Artwork drop-off period: November 1 - November 19, 2022, during ACE business hours (Wednesday - Friday from 12:00 - 5:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm)
Submissions or artworks will not be accepted after November 19, 2022, at 2:00 pm.
About our Gallery Space
The exhibition gallery space is upstairs in a restored 1913 Carnegie Library building. Great care is taken in displaying all work to its best advantage. As a non-profit organization, we take pride in running a professional exhibition program on a modest budget.
What to Enter
Artists may submit up to three original, gallery-ready pieces in any artistic medium. Please note that ACE will not accept pieces that have been exhibited at a prior Annual Open Exhibit or that are older than three years. Have questions about whether your piece is a good fit for this exhibit? Contact our Gallery Director, Jennifer Durr: [email protected] (541) 624-2800.
How to Enter
1) Select three (3) pieces that you would like to submit and prepare them for gallery display: framed with screw eyes and wire attached for wall-mounted pieces (check out this informative video on how to wire your 2D piece!); all others must be ready for freestanding gallery presentation. We will provide pedestals, but not display surfaces (such as for jewelry), easels, or other display accessories. Artworks that are not gallery-display-ready will not be accepted. Artists are welcome to enter up to three gallery-ready pieces with the guarantee of at least two pieces being included in the exhibit, as gallery space allows.
2) Open electronic submission period: September 1 - November 19, 2022. Complete the electronic submission form, answering all required questions. ACE will not accept incomplete submissions or those delivered without an accompanying online submission form. Pay your entry fee with form submission: $30.00. The entry fee covers the entirety of up to 3 artworks.
All submission forms must be completed electronically - please contact ACE if you experience any technical difficulties (541) 624-2800. Why complete the online submission form now? It helps us know how much art to prepare for and reserves your place in the exhibit - maybe even before you make your art! Since submissions are taken on a first-come basis, we encourage you to submit your form early.
3) a. Deliver your ready-to-display piece(s) to the ACE gallery - 1006 Penn Avenue, La Grande, Oregon during ACE regular business hours November 1 - 19, 2022.
b. Mail your artworks to the ACE gallery - PO Box 541, La Grande, Oregon with an anticipated delivery date between November 1 - 19, 2022. Please email Gallery Director, Jennifer Durr: [email protected] with the tracking number.
*Should ACE have a high volume of submissions, ACE will limit the number of submissions per artist. In the (unlikely) event that the show fills before the final submission date, ACE reserves the right to refuse new submissions. Unaccepted submissions can be collected Saturday, December 3, 2022, during ACE business hours 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
4) Attend the free opening reception, Friday, December 2, 2022, from 6:00 - 8:00 pm, and closing reception, Friday, January 27, 2023, from 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Share the virtual exhibit tour on your social media platforms and tag us! @artcentereast
5) Collect your unsold piece on February 1 - 4, 2023, during ACE's regular business hours (Wednesday - Friday from 12:00 - 5:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm). Please note that payments for works sold will be sent out by the 5th of the following month of sale.
GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE! - This is a great opportunity for professional and amateur artists alike to display their artwork and gain exposure in a gallery setting. ACE will market the show regionally and locally, via press releases, print advertising, a poster campaign, social media, and at our community outreach booths.
SELL YOUR ART! - As advocates of the arts economy, we encourage artists to display works that are for sale. As with all of our gallery shows, ACE retains a commission for artwork purchased. Our commission rate is 30% for ACE members and 40% for ACE non-members.
CREATE COMMUNITY! - The arts are more fun when more people are involved. We are an inclusive organization that values artwork of all kinds. We encourage you to be brave, share your voice, and come join us for the Annual Open Exhibit!
WIN A PRIZE! - A few lucky artists, selected by our 2022 judge, will go home with a cash prize:
Best in Show Award: $300 Sponsored by Redtwig Education
Best Two-Dimensional Award: $200
Best Three-Dimensional Piece: $200
Best Creative Glass Award (hot and warm glass processes): $100 Sponsored by Birddog Glass
Best Creative Glass Award : $100 Sponsored by April Curtis
Outstanding Jewelry Award: $100
Best in Fiber Award: $250 Sponsored by Knitkabob
Fred Hill Best Photography Award (self-printed artworks): $100
Best in Commercially Printed Photography Award: $100
Sponsored by Cook Memorial Library
People's Choice Award: $100 Sponsored by the ACE Board of Directors
Art Center East Honorable Mentions
ABOUT THE JUDGE (2022): Josh Raftery is a native of Phoenix, Arizona, where he studied forensic science and photography. He received his BFA in Photography from Arizona State University in 2011, and his MFA in Photography + Integrated Media from Ohio University in 2015. His photographic work examines the relationships between loss and memory, and religion and science. His work is influenced by his personal relationship with loss and bereavement, and his curiosity about funerary practices created by history and culture. Through mixed media, found objects, photography, and storytelling, Raftery’s current work is autobiographical – creating narratives of dystopia and uncertainty.
Raftery has been an instructor of studio and lecture-based courses at Ohio University, The University of Kentucky, East Carolina University, and The University of Dayton and is currently a Visiting Instructor at Eastern Oregon University. He utilizes antiquated photographic processes to emphasize the passage of time in his work. Raftery’s work has been exhibited nationally, and internationally, and included in several publications.
To learn more about Josh Raftery and his artworks, visit www.joshjraftery.com