Help us bring live music to The Big opening
On December 5, we will have a virtual reception for our annual open exhibit, The Big. We plan to hire local musicians to play in the gallery space, and stream their performance live from our website. We feel it is especially important to pay musicians right now, but with our current budget restrictions, we don't have extra funds. We're asking some of our music-loving friends to help us make this happen. If you would like to contribute any amount to The Big Opening Reception music fund, please send a note to [email protected] and she will assist you!
The Big: Art Center East's Annual Open Exhibit
Art Center East (ACE) invites you to enter your artwork into The Big: Art Center East's Annual Open Exhibit. Entries are eligible to win cash prizes - totaling over $1,150! - awarded at the judges' discretion. The People's Choice cash award will be selected by those attending in person or via online voting during the duration of the exhibit. Artists throughout the greater Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and beyond) who are 18+ years old are invited to submit their work.
This annual art exhibit serves multiple purposes: it invites Eastern Oregon & other NW artists to celebrate the arts, creates awareness of the value of arts in our communities, and raises funds for community arts programming at ACE.
The 2020 Annual Open exhibit will run from December 4th, 2020 - January 30th, 2021, with a festive virtual opening reception date and time to be announced.
What to Expect
The Big: Annual Open Exhibit is an art exhibit at Art Center East in La Grande, Oregon. The exhibit runs December 4, 2020 - January 30, 2021, with a virtual opening reception with date and time to be announced.
Submissions are accepted on a first-come basis November 18 - 25 during business hours: Wednesday-Friday Noon to 5 pm, Saturday 10 am to 2 pm.
About our Gallery Space
The exhibition gallery space is upstairs in a restored 1913 Carnegie Library building. Great care is taken in displaying all work to its best advantage. As a non-profit organization, we take pride in running a professional exhibition program on a modest budget.
What to Enter
Artists may submit up to two original, gallery-ready pieces in any artistic medium. Please note that ACE will not accept pieces that have been exhibited at a prior Annual Open Exhibit or that are older than three years. Have questions about whether your piece is a good fit for this exhibit? Contact our Executive Director, Darcy Dolge: [email protected] (541) 624-2800.
How to Enter
1) Select 1-2 pieces that you would like to submit and prepare them for gallery display: framed with screw eyes and wire attached for wall-mounted pieces; all others must be ready for freestanding gallery presentation. We will provide pedestals, but not display surfaces (such as for jewelry), easels, or other display accessories. Artists are welcome to enter up to two pieces with the guarantee of at least one piece being included in the exhibit, as gallery space allows
New! Artist Support: Unsure of how to prepare your artworks for a gallery exhibit? We are here to help. Local artist Trevor Durr will be available on November 18 & 19 between the hours of 2-4 pm to look over your work and guide you through how to prepare your work for display. RSVP within the application below.
2) Complete the electronic submission form, answering all required questions. ACE will not accept incomplete submissions or those delivered without an accompanying online submission form. Pay your entry fee with form submission: $20 for ACE members or $25 for non-members. All submission forms must be completed electronically - please contact ACE if you experience any technical difficulties (541) 624-2800. Why complete the online submission form now? It helps us know how much art to prepare for and reserves your place in the exhibit - maybe even before you make your art! Since submissions are taken on a first-come basis, we encourage you to submit your form early.
3) Deliver your ready-to-display piece(s) to the ACE gallery - 1006 Penn Avenue, La Grande, Oregon - in person on the submission date you select on your submission form. *Should we have a high volume of submissions, ACE will limit the number of submissions per artist. In the (unlikely) event that the show fills before the final submission date, ACE reserves the right to refuse new submissions.
4) Attend the virtual opening event, date and time to be announced. Free to attend virtually. (Optional)
5) Collect your unsold piece on the date you selected in your submission form. Please note that because our accounting is done on a monthly basis, payouts for works sold will be sent to you separately during the first week of February 2021.
GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE! - This is a great opportunity for professional and amateur artists alike to display their artwork and gain exposure in a gallery setting. ACE will market the show regionally and locally, via press releases, print advertising, a poster campaign, social media, and at our community outreach booths.
SELL YOUR ART! - As advocates of the arts economy, we encourage artists to display works that are for sale. As with all of our gallery shows, ACE retains a commission for artwork purchased (our commission rate is 30% for ACE members, 40% non-members).
WIN A PRIZE! - A few lucky artists (selected by our 2020 artist judges, TBD) will go home with a cash prize
-Best in Show: $300 Sponsored by Antlers Espresso
-Best Two- Dimensional: $200
-Best Three-Dimensional Piece: $200 Sponsored by JC Woodworks and Countertop Solutions LLC
-Best Creative Glass Award: $100 Sponsored by Birddog Glass, Kevin Boylan (hot and warm glass processes will be considered for this award)
-Outstanding Jewelry Award: $100 Sponsored by Faerie Beads & Treasures
- Fred Hill Best Photography Award: $100 awarded to self-printed artworks. Sponsored by Cook Memorial Library of La Grande
- Commercially Printed Photography Award: $50
-People's Choice Award: $100 Sponsored by Art Center East Board of Directors
CREATE COMMUNITY! - The arts are more fun when more people are involved. We are an inclusive organization that values artwork of all kinds. We encourage you to be brave, share your voice, and come join us for the Annual Open Exhibit!
About the Judge - TBA