The Big: Art Center East's Annual Open Exhibit
Art Center East (ACE) invites you to enter your artwork into The Big: Art Center East's Annual Open Exhibit. Entries are eligible to win cash prizes - totaling over $600! - awarded at the judges' discretion. The People's Choice cash award will be selected by those attending the December 6 opening reception. Artists throughout the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and beyond) who are 18+ years old are invited to submit their work.
This annual art exhibit serves multiple purposes: it invites Eastern Oregon & PNW artists to celebrate the arts, creates awareness of the value of arts in our communities, and raises funds that benefit community arts programming at ACE.
The 2019 Annual Open exhibit will run from December 6th, 2019 - January 25th, 2020, with a festive opening reception from 6-8pm on Friday, December 6th.
What to Expect
The Big: Annual Open Exhibit is an art exhibit at Art Center East in La Grande, Oregon. The exhibit runs December 6, 2019 - January 25, 2020 with an opening reception on Friday, December 6 from 6-8pm.
Online applications are accepted starting June 1st, 2019, after submitting an online application form artwork can be dropped off between November 20 - 27 during ACE's normal business hours: M-F 10am to 4pm, Saturday noon to 4pm.
About our Gallery Space
The exhibition gallery space is upstairs in a restored 1913 Carnegie Library building. Great care is taken in displaying all work to its best advantage. As a non-profit organization, we take pride in running a professional exhibition program on a modest budget.
What to Enter
Artists may submit up to three original, gallery-ready pieces in any artistic medium. Please note that ACE will not accept pieces that have been exhibited at a prior Annual Open Exhibit (formerly, Season's Faire) or that are older than three years. Have questions about whether your piece is a good fit for this exhibit? Contact our Executive Director, Darcy Dolge: firstname.lastname@example.org (541)624-2800.
How to Enter
1) Select 1-3 pieces that you would like to submit and prepare them for gallery display: framed with screw eyes and wire attached for wall mounted pieces; all others must be ready for freestanding gallery presentation. We will provide pedestals, but not display surfaces (such as for jewelry), easels, or other display accessories. Artists are welcome to enter up to three pieces with the guarantee of at least one piece being included in the exhibit, as gallery space allows.
2) Complete the electronic submission form, answering all required questions. ACE will not accept incomplete submissions or those delivered without an accompanying online submission form. Pay your entry fee with form submission: $20 for ACE members or $25 for non-members. All submission forms must be completed electronically - please contact ACE if you experience any technical difficulties (541) 624-2800. Why complete the online submission form now? It helps us know how much art to prepare for and allows you to know your work will be in the show - maybe even before you make it! Since submissions are taken on a first-come basis, we encourage you to submit your form early.
3) Deliver your ready-to-display piece(s) to the ACE gallery - 1006 Penn Avenue, La Grande, Oregon - in person on the submission date you selected in your submission form. *Should we have a high volume of submissions, ACE will limit the number of submissions per artist. In the (unlikely) event that the show fills before the final submission date, ACE reserves the right to refuse new submissions. Bring your submissions in early to ensure a spot in the show!
4) Attend the December 6th opening night reception, 6-8pm. Free entry. (Optional)
5) Collect your unsold piece on the date you selected in your submission form. Please note that because our accounting is done on a monthly basis, payouts for works sold will be sent to you separately during the first week of February 2020.
GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE! - This is a great opportunity for professional and amateur artists alike to display their artwork and gain exposure in a gallery setting. ACE will market the show regionally and locally, via press releases, print advertising, a poster campaign, social media, and at our community outreach booths.
SELL YOUR ART! - As advocates of the arts economy, we encourage artists to display works that are for sale. As with all of our gallery shows, ACE retains a commission for artwork purchased (our commission rate is 30% for ACE members, 40% non-members).
WIN A PRIZE! - A few lucky artists (selected by our 2019 artist judge, TBD will go home with a cash prize:
Best in Show: $200
Best Three-Dimensional Piece: $150
- Fred Hill Best Photography Award: $50 awarded to self-printed artworks.
- Commercially Printed Photography Award $50
People's Choice Award: $100
CREATE COMMUNITY! - The arts are more fun when more people are involved. We are an inclusive organization that values diversity of all kinds. We encourage you to be brave, share your voice, and come join us for the Annual Open Exhibit!